What is the NHS Lothian Pilot Real World Data [Cancer] Analytical Service?
Real-world data (RWD) and real-world evidence (RWE) are playing an increasing role in health care decisions.
- Regulators use RWD and RWE to monitor post-market safety and adverse events and to make licensing decisions.
- The NHS uses RWE to support adoption decisions and to develop guidelines and decision support tools for use in clinical practice.
- Medical technology and medicines developers can ensure that new treatments best service NHS patients by using RWD and RWE to support clinical trial designs and observational studies to generate innovative, new treatment approaches.
NHS Lothian has developed a Real World Data Analytical Service that works with public sector, academic or commercial partners to specify and conduct analysis of RWD that is part of routine care systems, within the NHS, under the jurisdiction of Caldicott Guardian approval.
The NHS Lothian Real World Data Analytical Service [Cancer] is currently being piloted as we gain more insight into the turnaround time and resource requirements of analysis.
How does it work?
- Complete a first draft of the RWD analysis request form which uses the PICO format to specify the analysis.
- Discuss with the team – this is an interactive process to build a data specification, analysis plan and reporting template.
- A quote will be provided to ensure cost-recovery, with an anticipated delivery time-frame.
- The analysis protocol will be reviewed by NHS Lothian to ensure current or future patients benefit.
- The analysis is conducted in dialogue with the requester. The requester will not have access to patient data, but will be able to see aggregate non-identifiable draft outputs and input to the design of a final report.
- A final report is produced as the product of collaborative working and are published in the public domain for use as part of an evidence based technology development and adoption process.
If you are interested in commissioning an analysis the first step is to complete an request form and email to email@example.com